Friday, May 29, 2009

Day 5: East Meets Meritocracy








American Samoa, May 29, 2009

Here are three strong women of the MA in Educational Leadership Samaoan cohort.
“Shhh! Hear that rumbling and grumbling and quaking? It sounds like a volcano about to erupt!” Startled, I look up at these mountains made of lava, and I wonder, Could it be? “But wait! I think it just may be the sound of 10 Samoan students, complaining about my work demands.” Without words, my students shake the ground, expressing their indignation and disbelief. Their faces say, “You mean we have to do something to earn each and every point?” “Unfair, unfair!”

Samoa is a fascinating place for an American teacher and scholar. Here, the size and strength of one’s extended family and village, or ‘aiga, not one’s abilities or achievements, confer status. As one matai (chief) told Margaret Mead, “In the past we had two gods—Tagaloa and the village; the greater of these was the village.”[i]
The village is all, family ties reign supreme, and all men (and women) are not created equal. This paradigm is as foreign to modern day Westerners as infanticide, and almost as shocking. Moreover, one’s standing in the community determines how much slack others are willing to give you. Because this is the paradigm, it feels like the only truth to the people inside the culture, just like Americans can't imagine being handed something just because.

So, I have about 10 students that are insisting (in many nonverbal, but easily read ways) that I should simply give them the points because they are very busy people! Should I? Some of the other students have come to me privately, thanking me for setting a standard for all to abide by.
Just as work is not distributed fairly between men and women, those with lower status tend to do much more work than those with high status. One of the students mentioned that she had asked another instructor not to give group assignments because the burden falls to one or two to do all of the work for the group. I appears that students who feel oppressed by the existing ‘aiga system are very happy to adopt a meritocracy. They are used to working hard without acknowledgment, and I bet it feels good to be recognized for once. Otherwise, I bet life feels like one big fa'alavelave, forever giving and giving and giving.

This gets me to thinking…should cultural norms be admired and sustained just because they existed before, exists now, and probably will go on existing for the foreseeable future? That doesn’t seem like a good reason to me. When people are being oppressed by the status quo, shouldn’t we look to the oppressed group rather than the oppressor for clues on the correct response to a society? Are we being culturally sensitive when we perpetuate oppression by condoning it as a cultural norm? Or are we just going along, like Uncle Toms, because we don’t want to speak truth to power: "Oooh, someone might be oFENDed!" For example, why, as Westerners, are we tolerant of a culture that keeps its women subjegated, beaten down, ignorant, penniless, tormented, and objectified, then covered from head to toe to hide the bruises. Where does political correctness leave off and human rights begin? In the words of my favorite politically incorrect social commentator, Bill Maher, “Don't be so tolerant that you tolerate intolerance."

Yes, I have been alone too much this week. I think I may be brooding. In two days, I will meet Sharon in Auckland, and we will begin our adventures in New Zealand. I leave Western Samoa on Sunday at 1:00 PM and arrive in Auckland at 3:30 PM Monday, four hours (and 24 hours) later. Sharon and I have been laughing about all the cool Star Treky things that might happen while crossing the international dateline. We think that the most likely impact will be a temporary breaking up, like a bad Skype connection: "you're breaking up, Scotty! (zap zap)", only to be reassembled a moment later. I'll let you know how it goes in a couple of days.

I may or may not be able to post tomorrow, Day 6, depending on the availability of internet service. I certainly will have time on my hands. It looks like I may be in the Apia (Western Samoa) airport all night. Don’t ask…
_________________________
[i] Smitz, P., & Farfor, S. (Samoan Islands & Tonga, 5th Ed. Victoria, Australia: Lonely Planet

2 comments:

  1. Keeping with the Star Trek theme: The Prime Directive. Never interfere with another culture and just observe. However, as a Treker, there are many instances that the Prime Directive was ignored which often created social change that seemed to be positive. I know that's TV, but in the real world, introducing new concepts and being a catalyst for change is kinda what educators are supposed to do. THINK! Right? :). Keep breaking that Prime Directive, Lt. Marj Olney - but make sure you're not the one wearing the Red Uniform - that's the crew person who always dies.

    ReplyDelete